Everyone understands the importance of having a strong and consistent tone of voice. But what exactly is a brand tone of voice, and how can you define yours? In this blog post, we’ll explore the concept of brand tone of voice and provide you with examples to show you how industry giants rock this concept and help you define your own.
1. What Is the Brand Tone of Voice?
Brand tone of voice refers to the consistent expression of a brand’s personality, values, and messaging in its communication. It reflects how a brand speaks and engages with its audience. Just like a person’s tone of voice can convey confidence, authority, or friendliness, a brand’s tone of voice sets the overall tone and style of its communication.
2. How to Define Your Brand Tone of Voice
To define your brand’s tone of voice, you need to consider the following factors:
- Brand Identity: Understand and define your brand’s core values, personality traits, and the emotions you want to evoke in your target audience.
- Audience: Determine who your target audience is, their preferences, and the language and style that resonates with them.
- Competitive Analysis: Research how your competitors communicate with their audience and identify opportunities to differentiate your brand.
- Consistency: Ensure consistency across all communication channels to build trust and recognition. This can include your website, email, and social media copy: Whatever comes to your mind when you communicate with your audience!
- Flexibility: Your tone of voice should be adaptable to various contexts and platforms without losing its core essence. For instance, your LinkedIn copy might be slightly more serious than your Instagram copy. However, reflect your soul while adapting to different dynamics of different platforms.
By considering these factors, you can create a brand tone of voice that aligns with your company’s values and resonates with your target audience.
For example, if your brand is in the healthcare industry, your voice may be compassionate, empathetic, and informative. On the other hand, if you operate in the technology sector, your tone of voice may be authoritative, conversational, and forward-thinking, reflecting your expertise in information technologies.
3 B2B Brands That Stand Out With Their Tone of Voice
1) Slack – Direct, Helpful & Innovative
Slack is indeed one of the exemplary B2Bs with a unique tone of voice. In this age of technology and short attention spans, Slack has a dynamic tone to keep messages short and clear while avoiding boredom. It’s also really helpful to make sure that every user is getting the most out of Slack.
2) HubSpot – Confident, Authoritative & Helpful
If you know HubSpot, you know how it feels for you: Confident, authoritative, and helpful. It’s of course important to prove why they embrace these elements. They show that they are both helpful and that this confidence is underpinned by knowledge, with great resources like the HubSpot Academy and the help center.
3) Notion – User-Focused, Friendly & Approachable
Notion makes complex concepts easy with its communication style. Since they have a very wide range of audience, it’s getting challenging to address each of them at the same time. Notion has nailed approaching all kinds of users with a clear and friendly but not intimidating approach.
Defining your brand’s tone of voice is crucial for establishing brand awareness and generating leads. By understanding your brand’s identity, audience, and competitors, and ensuring consistency and flexibility, you can create a tone that sets your brand apart in the market.
Are you done with defining yours? Then, it’s time to be active on social media with consistency! At Oppflow, we can help your business develop a compelling and unique content plan that resonates with your target audience. Start your free trial to streamline your content operations from planning, creating, publishing, and analyzing content to managing whole operations!